Division of Youth Services
Recidivism Preventive Programming
- Educational Studies (High School, GED, College Prep)
- Religious Services
- Behavioral Modification (Point System)
- Mentoring Program
Community Support Programming
Consequences of Crime Component
The Consequences of Crime’s (COC) mission and objective is three-fold:
- to reduce the increasing crime rate among Essex youth
- rebuild an open and trustworthy relationship between juveniles, their parents/guardians and the community
- to bring about a positive change in the youth attending the program. The COC is a 6-hour crime prevention program, which provides at-risk youth with a realistic look at life behind bars.
Workshop & Lecture Component
Workshops, lectures and presentations are available to parents/guardians, schools, community organizations, law enforcement agencies, etc. covering the following topics:
- Teen drug and alcohol awareness, and addictions
- Leadership & Empowerment (helping teens discover a dream, a future, and a second chance).
- Cultural Diversity
- Communication & Social skills (breaking the silence).
- Job readiness
- Anger management
- Peer Mediation
- Teen parenting skills
- Youth council (building positive leaders).
- Consequences from gang violence and related activities.
- Developing an aftercare approach for youths getting ready to re-enter society.
- Developing outreach strategies for on-going support & resources for youth re-entering their community.
- Gang awareness forums to assist parents in identifying their youth’s interest in gangs & related activities
- Identify the signs of substance and/or alcohol abuse